A Journey

Live. Laugh. Dance. And Write.
If you can do all those at once, you're doing just fine...

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Cosmic Reading Experiences

Have you ever had one of those times when you're reading a story, and, for whatever reason, you come to a point where something about the plot suddenly clicks, and you must put the book down for a moment, because that instance is so wonderful?

I just finished Cynthia Hand's debut Unearthly, and toward the end, right at a high point of tension, right when character Clara faces a big realization, I found myself staring at the same realization, the same plot point.

I don't know if it was a result of me being momentarily, minutely distracted by another thought, but when I reached that point in Clara's story, it struck me--much more than I expected it to. I didn't see it coming, at all, and neither did Clara.

What a lovely, beautiful surprise to uncover while reading a book! What does it mean? I have no idea. I can only hope that I affect my readers as much as that moment in Cynthia Hand's story affected me. Cynthia's writing is beautiful. It's haunting. It's real, and it's raw. It truly lives up to its name: Unearthly. Thank you, Cynthia, for an amazing reading experience, which is exactly what I look for when I pick up a book. If you haven't read this one, you should.

As The Body Finder's author Kimberly Derting said, it will steal your heart. But, the story will give your heart back to you, having truly made it more complete. It's just that perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Unearthly was A-MAZ-ING. I nodded my head through this whole post. yes! So nice to meet a fellow YA loev and writer. I'm your newest follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'll see you around the twitterverse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks so much, Julie! I feel like I definitely have to blog more, so I think I may just start talking about my WIP, "Hailey's Song," haha. It's hard to read a book and review it quickly, you know? But they ARE fun to do, certainly.

    And, you're very welcome, I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete